Stroudwater Textile Trust
COVID – 19
Following the Prime Minister’s announcements about the need for social distancing as part of the coronavirus response efforts, and in order to safeguard our visitors and volunteers, our mills will be closed temporarily.
As soon as the advice and circumstances allow us to reopen, we will do so. The Charity will require ongoing support through this anxious time for all of us, and we look forward to your continuing support. Thank you and we wish you well.
The Stroudwater Textile Trust is committed to promoting the Stroud Valleys’ rich textile heritage and to celebrate past and present textile practice, craft, and art.
We Manage the Dunkirk Mill Museum with its immense working water wheel and the Gigg Weaving Shed where you can try your hand at weaving, both in Nailsworth – see HERE for opening times.
• See historic machinery powered by an immense water wheel
• Discover one of the last remaining teazle raising gigs at work
• Find out about the world’s first lawn mower
• Watch weaving demonstrations and have ago! •See hand handlooms and a power loom
• Hear about Stroud scarlet and the Brtish army Redcoats •And how Stroud cloth still covers the world’s snooker tables
• Walk and see just a few of the hundred and more mills that were once hard at work in the area round Stroud