Stroudwater Textile Trust
The Stroudwater Textile Trust is committed to promoting the Stroud Valleys’ rich textile heritage and to celebrate past and present textile practice, craft, and art.
We Manage the Dunkirk Mill Museum with its immense working water wheel and the Gigg Weaving Shed where you can try your hand at weaving, both in Nailsworth – see HERE for opening times.
• See historic machinery powered by an immense water wheel
• Discover one of the last remaining teazle raising gigs at work
• Find out about the world’s first lawn mower
• Watch weaving demonstrations and have ago! •See hand handlooms and a power loom
• Hear about Stroud scarlet and the Brtish army Redcoats •And how Stroud cloth still covers the world’s snooker tables
• Walk and see just a few of the hundred and more mills that were once hard at work in the area round Stroud